March 20, 2012
Golan sez, “The Free Universal Construction Kit is a collection of adapter bricks that enable complete interoperability between ten popular children’s construction toys. By allowing any piece to join to any other, the Kit encourages totally new forms of intercourse between otherwise closed systems—enabling the creation of previously impossible designs, and ultimately, more creative opportunities for kids. As with other grassroots interoperability remedies, the Free Universal Construction Kit implements proprietary protocols in order to provide a public service unmet, or unmeetable, by corporate interests.”
The Free Universal Construction Kit offers adapters between Lego, Duplo, Fischertechnik, Gears! Gears! Gears!, K’Nex, Krinkles (Bristle Blocks), Lincoln Logs, Tinkertoys, Zome, and Zoob. Our adapters can be downloaded from Thingiverse.com and other sharing sites as a set of 3D models in .STL format, suitable for reproduction by personal manufacturing devices like the Makerbot (an inexpensive, open-source 3D printer).
February 9, 2012
Clips from the Mystery of Picasso (Le mystère Picasso) a 1956 Frenchdocumentary film about the painter Pablo Picasso, directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot. It shows Picasso painting images on glass plates from the viewpoint of the camera.
January 26, 2012
Assignment for two weeks –
Recycled Material Fashion Show Video production
Pipeline tool is at http://pipeline.cc.gatech.edu/gt
There are several parts of the project:
1. team name, theme for your fashion show
2. design the fashion show – a couple set of clothing, using recycled material (80%)
3. design the performance of the fashion show for the models – music, choreography, presentation, dance, cat walk, performance, etc.
4. make a video of the fashion show performance – with music, narrative, etc.
5. collaborate in anyway as you see fit.
video screening to be Feb 8th in class 😉
January 17, 2012
Readings (to discuss Jan 18)
- Brereton, M. F, D M Cannon, A Mabougunje and L Leifer (1996) Collaboration in Design Teams: How Social Interaction Shapes the Product, in Cross, N., H. Christiaans & K. Dorst (eds), Analyzing Design Activity, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 319-341 media:team.pdf –